Sunodo - A Cartesi convenience layer

The blockchain industry is rapidly advancing towards modularity, a paradigm shift that promises the ability to combine protocols in ways uniquely suited to diverse use cases, thereby enhancing the user experience. However, a significant challenge looms: increased modularity complicates protocol architecture and the process by which developers deploy their decentralized applications (dApps). Builders and entrepreneurs must remain focused on developing their applications and executing their market entry strategies, rather than becoming entangled in the complexities of choosing the optimal modular infrastructure for deployment.

To this end, convenience layers emerge as essential tools, designed to simplify these complexities by providing tailored infrastructure solutions that meet the specific needs of each use case. In this context, the Cartesi protocol stack, inherently modular, must offer such convenience to its developers to pave the way for widespread adoption. I propose that Sunodo, as an integral component of Cartesi’s technology stack, serves as a convenience layer, enabling builders to launch and operate their applications with just a few clicks. This approach not only democratizes access to blockchain technology but also accelerates the innovation and deployment of dApps, marking a significant step forward in the industry’s evolution.

4 Likes

I believe Sunodo is an integral part of the stack and one of our top priorities to pour resources into. The developer experience when using sunodo-cli is insanely better than when not using it.

A suggestion that I’d like to give, and I understand it may be controversial and would understand if it doesnt get accepted by the Sunodo team (even if with support from the wider community), is a rename of the sunodo-cli to cartesi-cli.

I believe the path:
brew install cartesi
cartesi create myapp --template
cartesi build

looks much better and easier to explain than:
brew install sunodo/tap/sunodo
sunodo create myapp --template
sunodo build

Then, during the basic developer experience, you wouldnt have to introduce the new term “sunodo” and teach what it is. But, at the same time, the Sunodo team being the main mainteners of the cartesi-cli brings them the legitimacy they might be seeking for, when launching their much expected validators service (which, in turn, could have a sunodo-cli for specific validator services, or for launching dapps with different stacks.

What do you think?

3 Likes

As an outside observer, this idea makes sense to me. Having said that, this idea also strikes me as something that could potentially be handled with a licensing agreement between Sunodo and the Cartesi Foundation. This tool has tremendous value to the Cartesi ecosystem and may be something the Foundation should consider paying to put their name on.

Thanks for your comment @mhs! It’s a good observation.

The Cartesi Foundation acts as a steward for the “Cartesi” trademark and could indeed grant the Sunodo team permission to change the name of the core convenience tool from “Sunodo-CLI” to “Cartesi-CLI”.

The Cartesi Foundation already funds the development of the Sunodo-CLI through an open-source grant. Additionally, as the OP notes, even in the absence of a payment, there is good benefit to the Sunodo team in being the developers of the Cartesi-CLI.

If the Sunodo team were willing to bring the Sunodo-CLI even closer to the Cartesi stack through a renaming, I personally feel it would be a net benefit to both the ecosystem and Sunodo team and am in favor of the idea!

3 Likes

The transition of Sunodo CLI to Cartesi CLI has been completed.

2 Likes